Reservations

No Of Rooms
Book Now

Reservations

No Of Rooms
Book Now

In & Around Indore

In & Around Indore

About Indore

The city of Indore presents a happy blend of historical past & promises of rapid future modernization, it is situated on the Malwa plateau at an altitude of 535 m (18823 ft) above sea level, on the banks of two small rivulets-the Saraswati and the Khan. They unite at the center of the city where a small 18th century temple Sangamnath or Indreshwar exists. The name Indore is due to this deity. It is the largest city in Madhya Pradesh; this city has emerged as the commercial capital of the state.
Situated on one of India's oldest pilgrimage routes from Mahakaal at Ujjain on river Kshipra to Omkareshwar on the river Narmada and onwards to Rameshwaram, Indore was on the route of Marathas of Deccan on their way to North India. These Marathas guerilla warriors were in constant battle with the Mughal Empire. Their army transit camps here attracted the local Zamindars who, drawn by the promise of lucrative trade, settled in the villages on the confluence of the khan and Saraswati rivers, thereby laying the foundation of this commerce in 1715 In 1741. Temple of Indreshwar was erected in the town, from which it derives the name of Indore.
The trade center grew rapidly under the Holkar dynasty (1733-1818). The remains of their two-century-old palace still stand in the main square (called Rajwada) the city became the capital of the Indore princely state in 1818 after the British forces under Sir John Malcolm defeated the Holkar led by Rani Krishnabai Holkar at Mahidpur. She signed the treaty of Mandsaur by which the control of Indore went in the hand of East India Company. Between 1948 and 1956 Indore served as the summer capital of the former Madhya Bharat state. Currently, it was the commercial capital of M.P.
Rajwada
The Holkar Palace is close to the Chhatris, in the main square in the heart of the city. It is a seven storied building (only facade remains) built over two centuries ago. The historic palace of the Holkar is built in a mixture of Maratha, Mughal and French style. The gopura-like monumental stone and wood structure flanked by bastions and studded with balconies and windows, is a testimony of the past grandeur of the Holkar. Its lofty entrance archway above a huge wooden door encrusted with iron studs, lead into a vast county ward enclosed by galleried rooms, and the arcaded Ganesh Hall where state and religious functions were once held. It is now used for art exhibition and classical music concerts. The lower three floors are made of stone and the upper floor are made of wood which made it very vulnerable to destruction by fire. Rajwada was burnt three times in its history and the last one in the year 1984 was the most devastating. The charred rubble of the rearportion has now given way to a symmetrically laid out garden featuring foundations, an artificial waterfall andsome superb pieces of eleventh century sculpture.
Lal Bagh
Lal Bagh Palace of the Holkar on the banks of the Khan river is one the grandest monuments the Holkar dynasty left to Indore city. A reflection of their taste, grandeur and life style, its construction began in 1886 under Tukoji Rao Holkar II, and was carried out in three phases, the final phase completed in 1921 under Tukoji Rao III. It is a blend of the baroque and renaissance styles and in its days one of the most elegant residence in India. The Government of Madhya Pradesh as a cultural center is developing it. The main attractions are the splendidly proportioned and furnished rooms, with frescoed ceiling and guilded ornamental mouldings. The architecture and decoration of this palace, inhabited by the Holkars till 1978 reflect the highly.
Chatri
These are exquisite cenotaphs of the three later Holkar rulers. These memorials in stone are gracefully poised on the banks of the Khan River with their pyramidal spires tapering into soaring kalashas. These are memorials built on the cremation spot of the Holkar ruler of Indore. Facing west is the cenotaph built over the ashes of another woman ruler of Malwa, Maharani Krishnabai. The other two Chhatris are Tukoji Rao II and Shivaji Rao, father and son, and are linked by a common oblong prayer hall with ornately carved arches and pillars on a high platform along the garbha grihas containing life size statues of these rulers. A breathtaking sight at night when illuminated, the Chhatris glow ether ally against the dark of the sky. An artificial lake is created in this stretch of the otherwise dry Khan River complete with a fountain, well-laid gardens on both banks and boating facility.
Bilawali Tank
Bilawali Tank: The tank was made in 1914 based on the plan of the contemporary resident Shri Bojhaket presented in 1905. the tank provided water supply to the textile industries in the past.
Gandhi Hall
This is one of the prettiest buildings in Indore. Built in 1904 and originally named as King Edward Hall, was renamed as Mahatma Gandhi Hall in 1948. This Indo-gothic structure is made in seoni stone and its domes and steeples are a landmark of Indore city. It has a clock tower in front, due to which it is also known locally as Ghanta Ghar. The central hall has a capacity for 2000 persons and is frequently the venue of book/ painting exhibitions, sale and fairs throughout the year.
Kanch Mandir
The Kanch Mandir (Glass temple), which is a Jain Mandir, is a marvel in glass. The "Cotton king" Sir Hukamchand Seth built this temple in the early 20th century. The walls, ceiling, floor, pillars, doors are entirely inlaid with glass. The mirror work reflects minute detailing. There are paintings done in colored glass, which depict stories from Jain scriptures. At the top is a special glass chamber, which multiplies the tree statues of Lord Mahavir installed there, into an infinite number.
Khajrana
Many citizen of Indore have a great faith in this Ganesh temple made by Ahilya Bai. They believe that praying here fulfils one's wishes. Nearby is the dargah sayed. It is believed that his headless body is buried here. This is an important pilgrimage place of Naita Muslims.
Annpurna
Inspired by the Meenakshi temple of Madurai, four life size elephant hold an ornately decorative gate in plaster. Inside the complex, apart from the main temple of Annapurna Devi is also a temple of Siva, Kal Bhairav, and Hanuman. There is also a pravachan hall. The outer wall of the main temple is decorated with colorful reliefs from mythological stories.
Bada Ganpati
Inspired by the Meenakshi temple of Madurai, four life size elephant hold an ornately decorative gate in plaster. Inside the complex, apart from the main temple of Annapurna Devi is also a temple of Siva, Kal Bhairav, and Hanuman. There is also a pravachan hall. The outer wall of the main temple is decorated with colorful reliefs from mythological stories.
Nehru Park
This is the oldest and most centrally located park in Indore. Built by the Britons as Biscow Park, it was open to only British in the pre independence days. It was renamed as Nehru Park after independence. It has a variety of roses, library, swimming pool, children's hobby center etc. It also operates miniature train to ride around the park. It also has battery-operated cars.
Meghdoot Upvan
Newest and the largest of the gardens situated on the outskirts of the city, about four kilometers from palasia. It has sprawling lawn, lighted fountains, and landscaped gardens. It also has an amusement park Mangal Merry Land adjacent to it. Ice cream parlours, milk parlours, chaat gali are on the outside
Geeta Bhawan
Newly built, adorned with many statues of gods of various religions. It is open to all, irrespective of caste, creed, religion etc. with provision for devotes to pray separately. Central hall is decorated with wall paintings from Puranas, Ramayana, Mahabharat, and is used for religious discourses- Pravachan, Bookstores within the premises sell religious books.
Gommat Giri
In 1981, the M P government donated a hillock to the Jain samaj, who constructed a 21 feet statue Gomateshwar, a replica of the Bahubali statue of Shrawanbegola. Also built are 24 marble temples with shikars, for each Tirthankar. Gomatgiri is approached by a lovely picturesque drive 10 minutes from the city airport. It also has a guest house, a dharmshala and a restaurant.
Gopal Mandir
This is a Krishna temple built by Krishna Bai Holkar in 1832. Situated on the right wing of the Rajwada, it has big central hall with stupendous pillars bearing a massive roof, which is elaborately decorated. Its system of lighting in the form of huge glass chandeliers is eye catching.
Bolia Chatri
Chhatris are the tombs or cenotaphs erected in memory of dead Holkar rulers and their family members. The beautiful Bolia Sarkar's Chhatris constructed in 1858 A D in memory of Sardar Chimnaji Appa Sahib Bolia.